Thursday, April 5, 2012

The One with another Funeral

So I have now been to two funerals in the last month. I think that counts as a kind of record. Two people who in all likelihood did not know each other. The only thing they had in common was being in their ealy 70's.

The first died after a long battle with Cancer. He seemed to be getting better but the last two weeks were very bad and we all knew he would die soon. He was a great member of the KZN Wildlife honoury ranges. The thing I will remember most about him was that he loved to talk to me about my job. There are very few people in this world let alone in this small town who would get excited talking about tracking of Antartic birds. Charl loved it. He asked lots of questions and could never understand why I didn't want to write articles about it for the local paper. There are days I find my job boring so I don't think anyone wants to read about it. He loved fishing, the outdoors and a good glass of red. He was a brilliant designer something he only discovered later in life.

The second funeral was for Tom. Tom was a joker and a drinker. The life of any party. His death was very sudden. He had spent the morning at the pub and the afternoon playing bowls. He sat down at the bowls club and well never got up again. My father was a very good friend of his and his speech at the funeral nearly had me in tears. He was a gentleman and one of the sweetest men I have ever met. We took part in two pantomimes together years ago to raise funds for the local Rotary. Tom was brilliant he had the whole cast laughing. Going out to the pub in this town just won't be the same without Tom sitting in the corner.

I sat in Tom's funeral thinking about how life gets a little emptier. I didn't see either of these men everyday. In fact sometimes months would pass that I didn't see them but in spite of that my life will be a little emptier without them in it.

 

Rest in Peace

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for tour loss. And so glad that you too find the company of the older generation so valued.

    ReplyDelete