Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Second week of the Cruise, DC and home

The second week of the cruise was preceded by the annoucement that Tropical Storm Maria was heading our way and that we would have to go on the Western cruise again instead of going East. I have never heard people getting so angry about something that really doesn't matter. People were blaming Carnival for the weather. As Andrew said go talk to God if you have a problem with nature. Anyway at 3:3opm just before sailing time it was decided that the weather had improved so we were going East again after all that. This after people had cancelled their cruise. He-he:)

We went to the Bahamas, St Thomas and St Maarten. All stunning tropical islands. I would love to have the money to live in a place like that.

An ex of mine worked as yacht builder in St Maarten for a while but went running home because he missed his mommy after 2 months. One of the main reasons we broke up after all I had been in Oz for 6 months at that stage and had no desire to go home. In fact after a year when I had to leave they nearly had to push me into the plane. After seeing St Maarten he clearly was insane nothing in the world would make me want to leave this place. Just look at it.

Perfect blue water next to the Carnival Dream

The view from the lovely beach front restaurant although the food was a bit ouch at 10 euros for a burger. Very relaxed and Ewan loved it.

The Bahamas were fantastic and I am just waiting for the day I make my millions so I can buy a house on Paradise Island next to Oprah. This is one of her houses on the islandActually her second house is the grey roof you can see aboove the palm trees. Tom Cruise has a holiday home just along the beach. A one bedroom flat on the island will cost you US$10million. So I think I will just have to dream about it.

All to soon the cruise part of our holiday was over and we had to make the drive to the airport in Orlando for our flight to DC.

If you ever have to fly domestic in the USA try and fly with Jet Blue. They have incredible legroom, comfy leather seats, friendly staff, free soft drinks and snacks and seat back tv's. Believe me this is luxury compared with most other USA airlines and I am not just talking domestic ones. I just wish international airlines provided as much leg room. It was so nice to be able to stretch and with a fair amount of turbulence we bounced into DC a few hours later.

Ewan didn't sleep once on the flight but passed out on the bus on the way to the rental car agency. We finally got a Jeep instead of the Ford's we had been given on every other part of the trip. DC is stunning in a way that I have not seen in other parts of the States. Sweeping rivers, huge trees and rolling hills. Lovely. FREEZING after the South though. We all had to dig to the bottom of our bags for our forgotten jackets. We stayed in a great little hotel in Falls Church Virginia. Yes it is a real place and they must hate Vampire Diaries and Fells Church Virginia. Hmm that took a lot of thought on the authors behalf.

Our last day was spent at the National Mall and Arlington Cemetry. We certainly got a lot of walking down before the flight home. In fact all of us were limping slightly by the end. Ok not Ewan who spent most of his time being pushed. A fall next to the Jefferson Memorial made him not that keen on running around all day.

This is what Ewan thought of Arlington cemetry. I loved it but the peacful long walk put small boys to sleep. He did wake up and request Animal Crackers at the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier. Solemn moment with the occasional rustle and crunch from a certain pram.

On the 21 September we started the long trip home. The train trip to NYC was great. I thought I was going to die in the car service from the station to the airport. the guy drove like a maniac and took every back road possible. It took us over three hours to get to the airport and yes the traffic was bad in Manhattan but 2 and a half hours of the drive we where in Queens. Don't ever use Dial 7 car service. I complained to them but still no response. The flight to London was nice and peaceful. Heathrow for 14 hours when according to our bodies it was one in the morning. Well that wasn't fun. They had also closed the little playground in Terminal 3 that Ewan loved so much on the way over. We did all manage to get some sleep on the cold hard benches.

Ewan had fun trying to see how the computers worked.

The flight home was bumpy but we where all so tired that we slept most of the way. Ewan had two seats between Andrew and myself so we built him a little tent using blankets and he slept till we landed in Joburg.

So thats it for my holiday. Thanks for reading:)

5 comments:

  1. Superb posting, I share the same views. I wonder why this particular world truly does not picture for a moment like me and also the blog site creator :D
    My blog is about Travel Tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I open your RSS feed it puts up a whole lot of strange characters, is the deal on my end?
    My travel blog Top Travel Destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably my side as I am still doing some setting up on this site. I will try sort it out this week. Thanks for the info and I hope you enjoy the site which will have a section dedicated just to travel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.
    Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete