Friday, August 30, 2013

Reality Check

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in our lounge feeding Zoey and relaxing. Our gate intercom and I glanced out the window to see a light coloured Kia Picanto. I assumed it was my SIL Becks so I opened the gate and went to the door. Zoey was in my arms cuddled up to me.  As I opened the door I saw that it was a white not silver car and that it had GP plates. There was a large black man getting out of the car and his three companions were busy opening there doors.

I slammed the door shut and ran with Zoey to me bedroom. I couldn't remember in my fear how to activate the panic button on the keypad so I armed the alarm and left Zoey on the bed. I ran through the house setting off the alarm and pushed the lounge panic several times.

Luckily the alarm scared them away and by the time reaction arrived they had skipped town.

I had nightmares all night about what might have been.

Andrew has told me I did everything right after my mistake of opening the gate but I still feel guilt that I put our daughters life in danger.

I was feeling safe in my little world but yesterday really brought home the reality of what happens to so many people in this country.

We were lucky but I am still shaking and looking everywhere for that white car.

2 comments: