Monday, November 16, 2015

Mom of the year

This evening I decided to take the kids to ride their bikes along one of the paths in the estate. It was the first clear evening we have had here in a week and I wanted to take advantage of the glorious weather. E rode his big push bike and I pushed Z on her tricycle. The path is just under 1km and goes past some lovely view points. I was really enjoying the walk and Z was being very cute.

At the end of the path there is a steep slope. I told E to turn around before the slope. We are currently having a major listening problem. He got to the top of the hill and at the same moment a walker appeared on the path. I got the bad Mom look and she told me that the slope was too steep for a push bike.

E chose that second to come flying down the slope with his legs behind him. I yelled at him to use his feet to slow down but he didn't pay any attention. I let go of Z and lunged at his bike. I caught the bike but he went flying over the handles. He landed on the tar and instantly burst into tears. I looked like the evil Mom that had just pushed her kid off his bike and let go of her toddler at the same moment.

Personally I felt that a small fall was better then crashing into the bushes at the corner but I could be wrong. The walker tried to help us and she was very sweet about the whole thing. I know she judged me and I can only hope that she is a Mom and vaguely understands. The judging was probably helped by me telling my crying son that he was being really stupid and next time he should try listening to me. Bad MOM.

E has a few small roasties but he was happy to have not crashed into the thorny bush. He has promised to listen in future and I am sure that will last until tomorrow.

Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Dont feel bad about it - (but we all do) - maybe he has now learned his lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have those moments. And unfortunately there always seems to be someone watching when we're at our worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met up with the jogger again at the bakery in PnP yesterday. Of course she remembered me and at that moment E was demonstrating his lack of listening skills again and I was telling him off again. Sigh. This woman must think I am mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Next time you'll have to invite her over for coffee ;)

      Delete