Friday, July 1, 2016

Where to live.....

Okay, so we have made the decision to build our own home. Great idea but now the question is where? I live on my own with the kids most of the time so it has to be in one of the secure estates. So which Estate?

This question combined with work(paying for the house) and house design is filling most of my time.

We have chosen an architect.. thanks Cat for the help with that.

Now we need to find a piece of grass to build the house on.

The choice is between Brettenwood, Simbithi and Zimbali.

I am not that keen on Zimbali.... I have never really liked the feel of the estate but its still a contender if someone can sell me on it. I do like the direct beach access but the security issues they have had recently are a worry. I suspect the problem comes from having a hotel and restaurant with easy access by foot to the whole estate.

Simbithi is my happy place. I have always loved this estate. The security is awesome. I love the bush and wildlife. I love the wide variety of styles when it comes to the homes. I am very comfortable here. HOWEVER... Simbithi is almost sold and the land available is the dregs and its very expensive. The build process is really difficult for some of the sites, with sloping land and narrow entrances.

Brettenwood. On the security side, they don't allow short term lets which makes the place much safer. They use the same security company as Simbithi so I would feel safe. The plots are cheaper and it is very kids friendly. BUT it doesn't feel like home. There is far less bush in the estate and very few animals.

I hate having to decide... I want Simbithi but Brettenwood is the better buy financially. Yuck!!

So where would you choose to live out of the three? Or where in the world would you live if you had a choice:)

This is before we even get to the crazy parts of cost, design, builders and planning permission. Oh and hubby has decided I should project manage the build. Suddenly it seems a lifetime ago that I worked in construction..... I might just go crazy.

I am sure that it will be worth it in the end. Please someone remind me of this when I am stuck in the world of planning permission.

2 comments:

  1. Take your architect with you to Simbithi and look at the remaining plots. As you have to pay more it is not work buying there if the plot will attract more cost too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cat. I think we have found the perfect plot. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete