Friday, June 10, 2016

Dying young

The great story of an early death that is romanticized by poets and songwriters. Think for a minute about all the songs about dying young. Well the reality is far more tragic.

I had planned to write a funny post about school reunions but then I a got a letter from the kid's school.

The College section is currently writing exams. After they had finished writing yesterday, two boys got a lift home with a matric friend who attends a different school. They where involved in a massive accident on the Berea turn off from the M4. One Grade 10 boy died on the scene and the Grade 11 boy is in a critical condition in hospital.

The school has cancelled all exams for today and they are bringing in counselors to talk to the kids. My children are far too young to have known this Grade 10 boy BUT E is asking questions.

I told him that school may be a bit different today. When we arrived they had wreaths on the flag poll at the Prep and the flags are flying at half -mast. He understands that people die when they get very old like his great-grandmother did last year. Dying young is not something that he had thought possible till now.

I bet there will be more questions after school.

I kept thinking about that boys family last night and this morning on the trip to school. They won't be driving that route with their son again. As a parent, I keep thinking about my own children and hoping that nothing like this ever happens to them.

Give your kids an extra hug today for the parents that can never hug their son again. Spare a thought for a school and the children that are now facing a reality that they hadn't even considered before.

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, so very true. It's so hard to deal with death and even more so if it's a kid. We have a little grade 1 in our school literally dying - the cancer has won and there is no treatment any more. It breaks my heart. BTW do you know my earworm at the moment "If I die young" by The Band Perry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear about the child with cancer. That really is so sad. I love that song by The Band Perry. Thank you for sharing it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete