Sunday, February 22, 2015

Settling Down

Our lives have been chaos for the last few weeks. We managed to rent out our house and the tenants moved in on the 30 December. Christmas to the 30 in our house was insane. I had planned to start packing early but work got in the way. On the morning of the 26th we started packing and sorting. I was physically exhausted at the end of every day and very emotional as our lives got sorted into bag and boxes. I threw out three bakkie loads of stuff and we donated enough items to keep our local hospice store in business for the year. We signed the lease on a 4 bed flat but the living space is much smaller then our house in Vryheid so we had to really downsize. We threw out things that we hated for years but just lived with. Two days of hauling items to my parents house for storage and we had an empty home. The tenants fetched the keys, I picked up a very confused cat and walked away from my home of ten years. We then lived in limbo for three weeks at my parents house. On the 19th January I put E in my car and we drove to Ballito. I sobbed for at least 30 minutes of the drive. The first two weeks here life was on high speed. Buying uniforms, sorting out places to stay as our flat took two weeks longer then planned to be ready(they repainted and redid the flooring) and trying to find my way in a place that had always been a holiday town for me. The day before my birthday we finally got the keys to our flat. We had to move in with a cleaning crew sweeping and polishing all around us. On my birthday I got to wake up to the sound and sight of the ocean. Alright I spent the rest of the day shopping for essential furniture and kitchen items. In the evening we had dinner at the amazing Little Havana. YUM!!! My husband is still working in Vryheid which means that I am a single parent most of the week. That really sucks and I hope he gets a job down here soon. The kids miss him hugely and E gets a bit difficult sometimes because Daddy isn't here. So that's it for now. I will write a post tomorrow on Estate living. Hint...I love it.

1 comment:

  1. SO glad to read something from you again. I do hope all works out just perfect and that A finds a job there soon enough to join you.

    ReplyDelete