Wednesday, June 10, 2015

It takes a village

We often hear the quote that it takes a village to raise a child. I have always thought of it as a bit outdated and a load of rubbish. Yes, we listen (sometimes) to advice from family and friends but in the 21st centaury we are really on our own as a family unit.

Well I have found my village... sort of.

At the start of the year we moved into a security estate. I will never name the estate here but it is our own little piece of paradise. This particular estate has to be the most family friendly one in SA or perhaps it is just right for our family. We have slowly made friends here but the part that I want to talk about today is the village behind the big walls.

Kids ride their bikes along the road, they go to visit friends, fish in the dams or hang out at the play areas. Parents gather around the playground with toddlers and friendships are formed between adults and children. The kids are safe. It's a step back in time to a simpler life.

I have helped kids I don't even know down the slide or across a tricky path and even on a few occasions to find the bathroom. The adults will smile and help the little people. We all do. We look out for each others kids and it works. My kids are happy and as they grow up I will give them more freedoms to go out and explore. My husband likens this to growing up on a farm. A number of kids here still live by the be home by dark rule.

It's magical. We have found our village and it works. Estate living may not be for everyone but we can't imagine anything else at the moment. I just have to watch the smiles on my kids faces to know that we did the right thing. They have a freedom here that is not often found in the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment