Friday, April 5, 2013

F is for Franschhoek

I am posting this a day in advance as tomorrow I will be in the Natal Midlands celebrating my husband's 40th birthday. I really can't wait.This and the next post will be short.. as I ahem still need to pack for everybody and we are leaving in two hours.

So Franschhoek was one of the suggestions for F. Well my experience of the area has mainly involved wine and food. I would say that is the experience of most people. It really is the perfect romantic getaway.

It is has some lovely historical buildings and is great for long evening strolls before or after dinner.

This is a list of family friendly places and activities to try in the area. If you want the romantic weekend just search on the internet:) Sorry time constraints.

Places to stay

Vrede en Lust- I am a huge fan of staying in the estates especially if you have kids. There will always be space to run around and they often have activities for kids.

Otherwise there are a number of apartments and cottages for rent in town. Check out Franschhoek for some ideas.

Activities

Picnics at one of the wine estates. Places that offer this include - Solms Delta and Ricketty Bridge. A great idea for romance or a day out with the kids.

Chocolate Tour of Hugenot Fine chocolates- always popular with kids and adults alike.

Hiking or cycling on the many nature trails in the area.

There are also a number of museums explaining the history of the area. Can be a bit boring for kids but a possible activity for a rainy day.

Places to eat

There are so many places to eat in the area that it would take me all day to go through them. Again I would recommend the wine estates. In my experience having space for a kid to run around can make all the difference to a meal.

Check out Child Friendly for some ideas.

 

1 comment: