Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Addo

My first trip to Addo was not a great one. I was 20 years old and living in Port Elizabeth. Andrew and I were doing the long distance dating thing. So one weekend he flew down to PE and we decided on the Saturday to go and explore Addo.

We went in my little student car named Squishy( Long explanation but think of Finding Nemo and Bad Squishy). Squishy was a 1996 Mazda Midge that had been driven by a boy racer in a previous life. It made a great noise wherever it went.

At this stage in my life I was studying Quantity Surveying and I was more interested in paving Africa then saving Africa. I couldn't tell an impala from a kudu.

Nevermind we would still have fun..... ahem. After 8 hours of driving around Addo we still had not seen a thing. I decided I hated game parks and we went home.

Fast forward a number of years and I was now working in conservation and had spent many happy weeks in parks all over the country.

So it was finally time to return to Addo.

In a Toyota Hilux so we could actually see the animals and although it is a diesel it hasn't yet scared away any animals.

Addo is amazing and I really mean it. I have now returned to Addo many times and I have yet to have another dissapointing visit. So I will just blame that first one on my car and general lack of knowledge.

So onto the nitty gritty of visiting Addo

Places to stay

Budget:

Camping is the best budget option at Addo. I have stayed in their campsite twice and it really is very nice. Clean ablutions and level campsites with small thorn hedges dividing the camp to give you some privacy.

The best tip I can give you is to book a caravan site a the tent sites are very, very small.

COST: R190 for two adults then R62 per extra adult and R32 per child. Campsites sleep up to six people.

Middle of the Road:

Family Chalet at the main camp. The cost is for four people and they are fairly well equipped for for people.

Cost: R1280

Luxury:

Sanparks does not really have luxury accomodation but Addo does have a number of Concessions operating inside the park to cater for the luxury market. Riverbend Lodge is the most family friendly as they allow children of all ages. I personally have never experienced as I am not that wealthy but I have heard great things so please go and check them out.

Cost: R2800 per adult per night and R1600 per child between 3- 11. Kids under 3 are free. Includes all meals, entrance fees and game drives. Children are welcome on game drives and families are often allocated their own vehicle. That is a huge bonus if you have small children. Riverbend Lodge

Activities

Game Drives

You can take your own vehicle through most of the park from sunrise to sunset. You can see hundreds of elephants as well as lion, buffalo, black rhino, hyenas, jackal, kudu and eland. Numerous other species occur here as well as some truly fantastic birding.

Hiking

The Alexandria Trail is 32km two day circular trail that currently costs R120 per person.

Location



Addo is situtated in the Eastern Cape about 1 hours drive from Port Elizabeth.

Should you go?

Yes!!! If you want to see elephants in giant herds like this:



Or for magical moments of standing on a hill looking down on an elephant that is close you can smell its breath:



So go on and spend some time in one of our most incredible parks.

Go to Addo Elephant to book.

 

3 comments:

  1. A is also for Amazing :) I've just written an essay for my literature class, having read some books about Africa. It's my latest obsession so naturally I adore your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE actaully did a horse trail in the Addo - it was fantastic and a huge adrenaline rush. A fantastic adventure if you are an experienced rider but certainly not for kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great adventure Cat. I love horse riding so I will have to check that out on our next trip to Addo. Horse trails in game reserves can be really worthwhile as the horses don't spook the other animals in the way that cars or humans walking do.

    ReplyDelete