Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bryce Courtenay

As most of you probably know the great writer Bryce Courtenay died last Friday after a long battle with stomach Cancer. I have been a huge fan of his for years ever since I got hold of a copy of Power of One.

In the end Power of One wasn't my favourite book of his that title belongs to Four Fires. That book still haunts me six years after reading it. If you haven't read it I urge you to find it and read it right away. Consider it a final tribute to this incredible man.

He was a truly prolific writer. On average he penned a book every six months. He called his method of writing "bum glue" and would sometimes stay at his desk for thirteen hours or more.

I have just purchased his final book on Kindle. This is the last sentence from the book:

"It's been a privilege to write for you and to have you accept me as a storyteller in your lives. Now, as my story draws to an end, may I say only, 'Thank you. You have been simply wonderful'."

It brings tears to my eyes just reading it but what a wonderful end to what has been a truly incredible writing career.

The last book is called Jack of Diamonds and was published just two weeks before his death.

So if you were a fan, what was your favourite Bryce Courtenay book?

http://youtu.be/Bvq_XitF6nw

Goodbye Bryce and thank you for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love the Power of one! And now, I willmhave to read four fires

    ReplyDelete